At the end of the 6th semester, students in the Teacher of English Language and Culture 5+1 and 4+1 programmes have to take the Academic English II exam. The codes of the exam are BTOAN6N06 and BTOAN6L06, and you should register for the exam in Neptun.
The WRITTEN PART OF THE EXAM consists of 5 parts in the following order:
- Video viewing (approx. 30 minutes)
- Grammar test (1 hour)
- Reading comprehension, summary writing, sentence transformation (3 hours) — examinees may work on these parts in the order they find convenient.
Dictionaries cannot be used. For the examination to be successful, at least a 50% result should be achieved in each part.
The following books are useful in preparing for the exam:
Graver, B.D. 1990. Advanced English Practice. Oxford: OUP. pp.1-183.
Quirk, R. , Greenbaum, S. 1985. A Student’s Grammar of the English Language. London, New York: Longman.
A SAMPLE TEST can be downloaded here.
The ORAL PART OF THE EXAM will be based on a reading passage to be chosen by the students after the written exam from a task bank prepared for this purpose.
The task is
- to read, interpret and evaluate the ideas in the text,
- make a 10-minute presentation about it accompanied by a ppt or prezi for the exam,
- present the main ideas and your interpretation of them,
- conduct a spontaneous discussion about the text with the examiners.
The titles of texts will be circulated via Neptun on the day of the written exam, and students have to indicate their choice to the coordinator in 2 days. The chosen text will be sent to everyone individually.